A New Era of Mobile Backhaul
Alcatel-Lucent mobile backhaul solutions offer the flexibility, scalability and operational simplicity to deliver the best customer experience at the lowest possible total cost of ownership (TCO). To address the new challenges operators face as they transition to LTE and small cells, Alcatel-Lucent has expanded its mobile backhaul portfolio. This will help meet the challenge of delivering more capacity and coverage into the mobile network.
The Alcatel-Lucent 5620 Service Aware Manager (SAM) has introduced visual insight for assuring next-gen networks.
Stay connected and avoid dropped calls indoors with better backhaul. Our solution for in-building small cell backhaul contributes to a consistent QoE.
Backhaul complexity is a key challenge in the evolution of mobile broadband.
Integrated packet microwave and IP/MPLS routing brings rapid deployment and cost-effective operations to backhaul.
Discover how to scale, simplify and reduce TCO.
Is your mobile backhaul ready for the future?
With global annual revenues topping $1trillion USD in 2012, the mobile services market is big business. In order to grow market share in a highly competitive environment, mobile network operators will need to deliver an outstanding customer experience at the right price.
The transition to LTE and small cells will help address the need to deliver more capacity and coverage into the mobile network. But both will have a major impact on the mobile backhaul network.
Alcatel-Lucent Mobile Backhaul Solutions
Cell sites will no longer just be on towers – they will be located on lamp posts, utility poles, and on the sides of buildings. A variety of access types – fiber, copper, and microwave – will be needed to connect cell sites to the backhaul network. New backhaul topologies will be required to support LTE and the shift to heterogeneous networks. All must be able to support multiple types of wireless services including 3G, LTE and Wi-Fi.
Alcatel-Lucent brings the ultimate in flexibility to the table with mobile backhaul solutions optimized for the transport of any service, at any cell site location, over any access media, using a variety of networking topologies.
Mobile Backhaul for the
Small Cell Era:
Mobile data traffic is expected to increase by a factor of 25x by 20162. Small cells are key to meeting this demand in a more cost-effective manner. Small cells however, will drive bigger backhaul networks. More small cells will translate to more sites to deploy and manage, and more bandwidth to aggregate per site. Mobile backhaul networks must scale both in the number of nodes supported and in the overall capacity provided.
Alcatel-Lucent offers backhaul access solutions optimized to reduce equipment footprint, power, and cost at the small cell site itself. They also provide the scalability required to handle increasing bandwidth to the cell site. Alcatel-Lucent backhaul aggregation and transport solutions leverage the latest in 100 Gb/s IP and optical technologies to ensure ample network capacity, and deliver on large scale network deployments.
More cell sites in more diverse locations. Multiple backhaul access options. Evolving network topologies. All of these factors lead to more complexity in the deployment and operation of mobile backhaul networks. With complexity comes the threat of escalating costs.
Alcatel-Lucent mobile backhaul solutions are designed to simplify the deployment and operations of backhaul for heterogeneous networks. Universal backhaul access devices optimized for small cell and macro cell locations simplify deployments and reduce truck rolls. End-to-end service visibility and control streamlines operations and ensures any issues can be quickly and efficiently resolved.
Alcatel-Lucent Professional Services can also help to design, optimize, and deploy metro cell backhaul networks. In addition, the Alcatel-Lucent lightRadio Metro Cell Express build-operate-transfer solution combines both metro cells and backhaul for a turnkey deployment.
Alcatel-Lucent Mobile Backhaul Architecture for HetNets
Flexible, scalable and simplified mobile backhaul solutions enable delivery of increased mobile capacity and coverage with the right quality of service. Fully optimized for macro cell and small cell backhaul requirements. Can be deployed independently or fully integrated for increased network and operational efficiency.
IP/MPLS Mobile Backhaul Provide a seamless and consistent backhaul deployment and operational model regardless of mobile service, access technology, or network topology.
Wireline Mobile Backhaul Leverage existing fiber and outside plant copper infrastructure to provide capacity and even greater bandwidth relief as demand grows.
Packet Optical Mobile Backhaul Massive scale with high-density 1,10,40 and 100Gb/s services. Enable fixed/mobile convergence with integrated Carrier Ethernet switching and WDM capability.
Alcatel-Lucent has already deployed more than 225 mobile backhaul networks for operators around the world and holds #1 market share according to ABI Research and Infonetics.
“This announcement helps strengthen Alcatel-Lucent’s position as one of the top vendors in the mobile backhaul market. Enhancements to address small cell backhaul help to make small cells a more attractive and viable way to address demand for ubiquitous high-quality mobile broadband. The ability to use the network for macro and metro means even greater economies of scale – which is critical given escalating mobile broadband demand.”
Nick Marshall, Principal Analyst, Mobile Networks at ABI Research
“Alcatel-Lucent is helping us to fully utilize the advantages of IP/MPLS technology to economically and effectively handle high volumes of a variety of mobile broadband data and video services. The new network implementation not only provides a substantially improved quality of service for our current customers, it also does an excellent job of preparing Airtel Africa for future international expansion opportunities.”
Eben Albertyn, CTO of Airtel Africa
“IP video, multimedia, and other high-bandwidth applications are becoming increasingly popular, which is driving requirements for greater speed, efficiency and performance. The deployment of an all-IP infrastructure from Alcatel-Lucent will reduce network complexity and cost, while increasing efficiency, and serves as an important step in an ongoing evolution to IP across all of our operations.”
Georgy Pisarenko, Head of Group Product and Platform Development of VimpelCom
- Alcatel-Lucent and APT to build new Taiwan 4G LTE network to deliver high quality voice and advanced mobile communication services
- Alcatel-Lucent and Cable & Wireless operator LIME to complete all-IP network in Caribbean
- Lazus (Colombia): Alcatel-Lucent and Lazus bring 4G LTE ultra-broadband access to nine cities in Colombia
- PEG Bandwidth (USA): Alcatel-Lucent provides IP-based backhaul solution to support PEG Bandwidth’s expansion in under-served markets in the US
- Alcatel-Lucent and YooMee Africa join forces to build ultra-broadband wireless internet access based on TDD LTE in West and Central Africa
- Intertelecom and Alcatel-Lucent complete mobile backhaul network in Ukraine
- Alcatel-Lucent Mobile Backhaul: Portfolio Assessment
- Backhaul Considerations for LTE and LTE-Advanced (Application Note)
- Microwave Backhaul For Long Term Evolution (Application Note)
- Indoor Small Cells: Aggregation and Backhaul
- Leveraging Microwave Packet Radio to Enhance and Extend IP/MPLS Backhaul (Application Note)
- Alcatel-Lucent IP and Microwave Integration (Solution Brief)
- A New Era of Mobile Backhaul
- Responding to mobile capacity challenges with Packet Optical Mobile Backhaul
- Wireline mobile backhaul for metro cells
- IP/MPLS mobile backhaul for heterogeneous networks
- Professional Services for Mobile Backhaul
Articles & Blogs
- Network operations tools can be more efficient
- Rely on partners for your network transformation
- Mobile Fronthaul Optimized For Cloud RAN
- Stay connected: Avoid dropped calls indoors with better backhaul
- Backhaul complexity: A key challenge in the evolution of mobile broadband
- TechZine: Is Your Mobile Backhaul Network Prepared for the Small Cell Era?
- Network assurance change drivers
- Learn how small cells are impacting backhaul
- Light Reading talks to Alcatel-Lucent’s Steve Dyck about small cell backhaul strategies
- IP/MPLS Mobile Backhaul
- Packet Optical Mobile Backhaul
- Wireline Mobile Backhaul
- Packet Microwave Mobile Backhaul
- Professional Services for Mobile Backhaul
1Gartner, ‘Mobile Services Worldwide, 2008-2016, 2Q12 Update’ | 2Bell Labs Research, 2012