Think DVR Out of the Box
Alcatel-Lucent Cloud DVR lets you deliver a range of time-shifted TV and network digital video recorder (DVR) services that enhance your subscribers' viewing experience while reducing costs and increasing revenue opportunities.
Why move to the cloud? Because TV-watching behavior is changing. New devices and technologies provide more flexibility to consumers who tend to move away from programming timetables dictated by television networks. They now expect to view content on their own schedules, in any location and on any device they choose. Alcatel-Lucent Cloud DVR lets you meet that consumer demand — and do more.
Unprecedented flexibility in video storage and delivery
We are boosting the performance of cloud-based storage and content delivery with our enhanced Cloud DVR and new Elastic CDN.
White Paper: Making the Business Case for Cloud DVR
Practical guideline from Heavy Reading for launching a Cloud DVR service. Includes a Telefónica case study.
Deeper than you think - Network impact of Cloud DVR
Don't underestimate the impact of cloud DVR on your network. It has a deeper impact than you might think.
Sunny Skies for Cloud DVR?
Listen to a replay of the Light Reading webinar exploring how cloud DVR technology can be used to help operators deliver advanced TV services and retain subscribers.
Are you ready for network DVR?
When copyright laws are restrictive - only allowing storage of private copies for network DVR - content providers and consumers loose out.
Cloud DVR comes of age
Our Cloud DVR solution has hit a milestone - 30 petabytes of storage capacity installed.
Cloud DVR keeps your TV from wasting space
Cloud DVR reduces storage needs by sharing storage space among multiple subscribers while enhancing the digital content viewing experience.
A million happy customers with Telefónica Movistar
Our IP Video solutions have enabled a new cloud-based TV feature for Telefónica's pay TV service, Movistar TV.
Cloud DVR wins at Connected TV Awards
We received the 'Multiscreen Goes Mainstream Award' for our Cloud DVR solution at the 2014 Videonet Connected TV World Summit in London.
Service providers should select network DVR technology with the flexibility to manage and overcome copyright restrictions by supporting private-copy and shared-copy models.
Roland Mestric, Director of Video Solutions Marketing, reflects on the poor performance of his set-top box after returning from TV Connect.
Content rights issues with shared-copy Cloud DVR deployment shouldn't stop service providers from adopting Cloud DVR services. Find out how best to maximize your return on investment.
Alcatel-Lucent received an Engineering Emmy® Award at the 2014 Consumer Electronic Show for our pioneering work on network DVR.
Your DVR in the cloud
It's the natural next step for DVRs: Moving DVR technology — tuners, hard-disks, processing power — from the home and into the cloud.
By making the move to Cloud DVR, you can:
- reach more subscribers, devices and locations with content
- reduce costs, and
- increase revenue opportunities.
Your subscribers will have more flexibility and control over how they watch programming, improving their experience.
And content owners and advertisers will have more ability to control how content is recorded and consumed.
Cloud DVR Benefits Everyone
Reduced capital expenses
- Lower set-top-box (STB) costs
- Multi-room DVR service without additional hardware
- Shared central storage to reduce costs compared to distributed storage
Reduced operational expenses
- Fewer help desk calls and less STB maintenance
- Reduced truck rolls
- Offer added-value DVR services
- Upsell extended storage capacity and parallel recordings
- Improve end-user experience and reduce churn
TV on demand, from any device, any location
- Recorded content and time-shifted TV services (pause live TV, rewind, start over and catch up)
Unlimited storage space
- No capacity limits in the cloud
- Simultaneously record multiple TV programs while watching live TV
Reliability and availability
- Guarantee content availability with redundant configuration
- Back-up personal content
Better control over what is recorded and how
- Storage capacity, number of tuners, and storage time for recordings can all be configured
New revenue models
- Enriched viewer profiles offer a better view of how subscribers watch live and time-shifted TV
- Dated commercials in catch-up and recorded programs can be replaced with fresh ones, which can be targeted at individuals or groups of subscribers
Why Cloud DVR from Alcatel-Lucent?
Alcatel-Lucent is a pioneer in cloud DVR technology: we started research in 2000, first demonstrated a solution in 2001, and provided one of the very first public deployments — to the telecommunications company Arcor in Germany — in 2007.
Today, our flexible cloud DVR platform enables service providers to benefit from powerful, cloud-based storage, processing and management.
Our solution's reliable storage and streaming capacities can quickly and easily scale with consumer demand. It supports and optimizes private copy, shared copy, and rolling buffer modes with on-the-fly content repackaging to match subscriber devices.
Open interfaces to client devices, back office, ad insertion and head-end video systems further enhance your cloud DVR services.
And our solution supports distribution over legacy Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) networks, IP networks and content delivery networks (CDNs) (both on- and off-net). Cloud DVR is also backwards compatible with legacy set-top boxes using IP or DVB-C for video delivery to further ensure business continuity.
Alcatel-Lucent combines an unmatched IP Video solutions skill set with a wealth of knowledge gained through more than 100 deployments worldwide. Several service providers, including Swisscom and Telecable, selected Alcatel-Lucent to deploy replay TV services over the past 2 years.
During the 65th Annual Technology & Engineering Emmy® Awards, which took place at the 2014 Consumer Electronic Show, the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences honored Alcatel-Lucent for our "pioneering work in the implementation and deployment of network DVR."
"I want to congratulate Alcatel-Lucent for being recognized as one of a select few to be honored with the Emmy® Award for Technology and Engineering for 2013. Your pioneering work in implementation and deployment of Network DVR showed excellence in engineering creativity, and you join a distinguished history of honorees that are chosen each year by dozens of industry experts and peers."
Robert P. Seidel, chairman of the Technology and Engineering Achievement Committee, National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences
The Emmy® Awards is the copyright of ATAS/NATAS.
IP Video Innovation
Cloud DVR is the first step towards an all-IP video future, in which the cloud hosts advanced TV services and delivers them directly to a broad range of consumer devices.
Discover how Alcatel-Lucent can guide you on this journey and keep you at the heart of the pay TV value chain.
Learn about our IP Video portfolio, which helps you deliver an exceptional multiscreen video experience to your customers.
Seeing is believing — see the possibilities of IP Video innovations.
- Alcatel-Lucent enhances delivery of video content with introduction of Elastic content delivery network and cloud-based DVR storage
- Alcatel-Lucent to make private copy cloud video recording cost-effective and copyright-compliant
- Alcatel-Lucent and Telefónica bring network DVR services to nearly one million Movistar customers in Spain
- Cloud DVR wins at 2014 Connected TV Awards
- Don't Let Content Rights Issues Rain on the Cloud DVR Parade
- Alcatel-Lucent provides customers of Telecable in Spain anytime, any-device access to live TV, video-on-demand and personal cloud recording
- And the Emm® Award goes to...Alcatel-Lucent
- Alcatel-Lucent Cloud DVR solution wins TV Connect Industry Award 2014
Articles and Blogs
- Cloud DVR network impact deeper than you think
- Sunny Skies for Cloud DVR?
- Is network DVR ready for prime time?
- Cloud DVR comes of age
- Cloud DVR keeps your TV from wasting space
- Clear skies ahead for Cloud DVR
- Cloud DVR: Don't go wrong on content rights
- London under the clouds of DVR
- Deeper than you think - Network impact of Cloud DVR
- Are you ready for network DVR?
- Network DVR benefits end users, service providers and content owners
- Alcatel-Lucent wins Emmy® Award for network DVR
1 Nielsen: "No hardware, no problem: VOD lets users time-shift with ease", September 2013.
2 Streaming Media Europe: "Thinkbox shows growth in U.K. viewing on TVs and mobile devices", February 2013.
3 Global Industry Analysts: "Global Digital Video Recorder (DVR) Households to Reach 337.6 Million by 2018, According to New Report by Global Industry Analysts, Inc.", July 2012.