Take your mobile network to the cloud with Network Functions Virtualization (NFV). Alcatel-Lucent offers solutions for mobile network operators across all key elements of the NFV ecosystem. We can help you evolve to a virtualized mobile network that leverages a more agile, more efficient cloud-based infrastructure.
Mobile broadband is evolving quickly. Your customers are demanding. The competition is fierce — And the opportunity is great. To stay ahead of the game, you need new solutions to tough challenges:
You need a partner in NFV who can help you to?
- Create a network environment that supports more affordable and rapid service innovation and expansion
- Lessen the business/ROI hurdles for the introduction of new services
- Scale and utilize network resources more efficiently and cost effectively without compromising customer's experience
- Capture the promising new opportunities of the cloud
SDN and NFV are bringing proven cloud computing and IT technologies to the networking domain. At Alcatel-Lucent we are changing the way we build networks.
Commitment to accelerating development and delivery of optimized virtualized cloud, wireless and IP network functions using Intel architecture.
Leverage the cloud and NFV to become more responsive, innovative and efficient in offering communications applications to your customers.
Network Functions Virtualization for Mobile Networks
Alcatel-Lucent brings you where Mobile Meets Cloud — the evolution to a virtualized mobile network leveraging an agile and efficient cloud-based mobile network infrastructure. We are strongly committed to NFV and solutions across all key elements of the NFV ecosystem.
To help you meet the challenges and capture the opportunities, we are virtualizing key mobile networking functions and enabling them for the cloud. That includes the Evolved Packet Core (EPC), IP Multimedia subsystem (IMS) and we are also working with our customer partners to explore the benefits of virtualization in the Radio Access Network (RAN).
EVOLVED PACKET CORE
Our IP Mobile Core has been designed with Future Network evolution in Mind. With our virtualized evolved packet core you can create new services faster and with agility, match demands more quickly and utilize resources more efficiently.
IP MULTIMEDIA SUBSYSTEM
Our virtualized IMS (vIMS) is a cloud communications platform built for new market opportunities. It unites the best cloud technologies with high performance virtualized software to help you get to VoLTE faster and reach new profitable web and Enterprise markets.
RADIO ACCESS NETWORK
Our virtualized RAN portfolio includes a virtualized 3G Radio Network Controller (RNC) and virtualized proof of concepts for LTE and LTE-Advanced RAN functions. The LTE components leverage Alcatel-Lucent's LTE Overlay solution whose software is deployed in eight of the top ten mobile operator networks and advanced wireless algorithms from Bell Labs.
Build a Cloud for Mobile Networks
Meeting carrier-grade requirements for mobile network infrastructure and services requires a holistic approach. Your NFV infrastructure, NFV management and orchestration, and software-defined network (SDN) must work seamlessly together to create a highly reliable, high-performance environment for supporting mobile broadband services.
Alcatel-Lucent offers pre-integrated NFV solutions that leverage our CloudBand™ NFV platform and Nuage Networks Software Defined Networking. Pre-integrated solutions mean a faster time to market and every one of our NFV elements is built to operate in an open, multi-vendor cloud environment.
Alcatel-Lucent is pursuing solutions across every aspect of the NFV environment and have formed important partnerships within the NFV community.
Mobile Meets Cloud is a Journey
Our industry is at the start of a major industry transition in how we design, build and operate mobile networks. Mobile networking elements will transform from dedicated hardware platforms, to software functions virtualized on independent hardware, and then to software functions operating in open, automated, dynamic, and scalable cloud environments.
Alcatel-Lucent is Your Trusted Partner for the Journey to NFV
With our multi-faceted approach, you can take advantage of faster time to market, unique insights for building virtualized network functions to leverage the cloud, and the ability to push the boundaries of mobile and cloud innovation.
Faster time to market for vNFs with a fully integrated NFV environment.
More advanced vNF software leveraging the advantages of cloud operating environment.
Pushes the boundaries of innovation in bringing telecom applications to the cloud.
Alcatel-Lucent takes you to where mobile meets cloud.
Customers and Analysts Speak Out
"China Mobile and Alcatel-Lucent have a long history of working together to deliver innovative solutions that push the boundaries of telecoms and our work on NFV is no exception. Here we are demonstrating how a cloud network environment can help us deliver services faster and better to even greater numbers of people. This will help us meet the explosion in demand for mobile data and allow us to innovate even further with new service offerings."
Dr. Chihlin I, Chief Scientist of CMCC Research Institute
"The arguments for NFV are compelling for mobile operators. When combined with SDN, NFV will enable them to deliver new services flexibly and faster, with positive implications for revenue generation and their ability to expand into new markets. NFV is timely as operators migrate to LTE and look for new ways to take full advantage of this technology. However, it is critical that virtualized network functions for LTE maintain the features and stringent performance requirements of the same functions in non-virtualized networks. NFV also provides mobile operators with an opportunity to rethink network operations and reduce operational cost. Alcatel-Lucent has a market-leading understanding of NFV and is well-positioned to help mobile operators on their NFV journey."
Caroline Chappell, Senior Analyst with Heavy Reading
"Our work with mobile carriers confirms that end-to-end (holistic), open solutions are a key priority in moving forward on virtualization," notes Peter Jarich, VP of Consumer and Infrastructure with Current Analysis. "Alcatel Lucent's investments in specific network functions, management platforms, SDN and virtualization-focused professional services align with the mobile operator's priorities as they enter on the path to NFV."
Peter Jarich VP of Current Analysis Research, Consumer & Infrastructure Services
- Alcatel-Lucent delivers suite of virtualized network functions, ushering in the next phase of mobile ultra-broadband for service providers
- China Mobile and Alcatel-Lucent demonstrate progress of mobile NFV development with voice and video demo via a cloud-based LTE network
- Red Hat Enteprise Linux OpenStack Platform Leveraged by Alcatel-Lucent, CloudBand™ as part of its Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) Platform
- Alcatel-Lucent CEO Michel Combes outlines The Shift Plan strategy to accelerate telecommunications to the cloud
- Alcatel-Lucent to accelerate industry adoption of Network Functions Virtualization with first open CloudBand™ "community"
- Why service providers need an NFV platform
- Alcatel-Lucent and Heavy Reading: Carriers on the path to the cloud
- Network Functions Virtualization: From vaporware to new era
- Why all clouds are not created equal
- Cloud Communications
- IP Mobile Core
- Alcatel-Lucent CloudBand
- Nuage Networks™ Virtualized Services Platform
Podcasts and Videos
- Cloudband/vEPC demo at BTE
- Alcatel-Lucent announces global collaboration with Intel
- Video: Moving Mobile Networks to the Cloud
- Podcast: vIMS — A platform for cloud communications — Fran Heeran, GM Alcatel-Lucent Advanced Communications
- Podcast: Virtualized Evolved Packet Core — IP Mobile Core
- Infographic: On the Road to a New Mobile Experience