Metro aggregation networks are under extreme pressure. They must support new advances in ultra-broadband access, increasing demand for mobile backhaul transport, and more dynamic data center and cloud connectivity services.
Alcatel-Lucent Cloud-Optimized Metro solutions enable Service Providers to move the metro network forward with the agility, scale and efficiency needed to meet the demands of new application-driven, on-demand services.
Alcatel-Lucent expands optical networking portfolio to meet enterprise and operator demand for video, cloud and data center traffic in metro networks
Metro network transport platforms must be optimized in multiple dimensions to meet the challenges triggered by growing and shifting traffic patterns. New metro network platforms must be compact, scalable and agile.
The Alcatel-Lucent 5620 Service Aware Manager (SAM) has introduced visual insight for assuring next-gen networks.
With the move to all-IP, SDN and cloud services, IP/optical integration can help operators simplify and streamline their operations while driving better cost synergies.
Ethernet services technology continues to evolve. With Ethernet VPN (EVPN), service providers can meet demand for higher speeds, sophisticated QoS and guaranteed SLAs.
Metro networks are facing unprecedented pressure due to a change in traffic flows and massive increase in bandwidth demand. Release the pressure & improve performance.
SFR is transforming its network to an IP/Optical converged infrastructure to address traffic growth and enable faster and less expensive deployment of new services.
Metro networks face many changing dynamics that will impact their architecture and design. A cloud-optimized network will adapt to this evolutionary change — delivering a more agile, scalable, and efficient network.
The metro network must evolve
- Both broadcast and on-demand video are rapidly increasing in popularity. Metro video traffic (including pay TV and Internet video) is forecasted to increase 720% by 2017. That increase will lead to considerably higher volumes of traffic as well as shifts in traffic patterns to deliver that video to users everywhere.
- The increasing number and importance of data centers is pushing IP and Carrier Ethernet services to become more aligned to data center-driven requirements. Those services must therefore be more dynamic and automated to support on-demand, instantaneous network connectivity.
Is your metro network ready for what's coming?
Agility to rapidly deliver high performance, on-demand, application-optimized cloud services.
With our Cloud-Optimized Metro solution, you'll have the ability to exploit CE 2.0 and the potential of SDN in the wide area network (WAN). And that means you can:
- Deliver MEF certified Carrier Ethernet 2.0 (CE 2.0) services
- Adapt to the dynamic, on-demand requirements of cloud/data center connectivity services
- Leverage proven service provisioning and validation tools
Scale to support 10Gb/s, 40Gb/s, 100Gb/s and beyond within the metro.
Our advanced platforms, metro architecture, and more scalable protocols give you:
- Industry-leading, highly scalable IP and Optical metro access and aggregation
- A flexible "metro core" architecture supporting network convergence with minimal impact to service operations or organizations
- Network protocols such as Seamless MPLS to facilitate massively scaled metro networks
Efficiency to drive down network costs by eliminating duplication and optimizing resources.
Our innovations in end-to-end network management and SDN control reduce complexity and cost, so you get more out of your network resources:
- Reduce duplication through IP-optical network integration
- More efficiently visualize and manage network resources
- Drive higher network utilization without sacrificing network or service reliability
With Alcatel-Lucent's next-generation Cloud-Optimized Metro solution, the answer to all these questions is yes.
Why a Cloud-Optimized Metro Solution?
Innovation is at the heart of our metro aggregation networks. Customers benefit from Alcatel-Lucent's expertise in IP and Optical networking, with industry-leading port densities of 10Gb/s, 40Gb/s, 100Gb/s and beyond. We're also innovators in ultra-broadband access, including vectoring and bonding for copper, PON-based technology for fiber, and LTE/LTE-Advanced for mobile.
Alcatel-Lucent's cloud-inspired and cloud-based techniques will allow you to better manage network resources, run networks at higher levels of utilization, and better balance traffic across the network.
We can help you deliver innovative cloud connectivity services that will yield new revenue streams. Partner with Alcatel-Lucent for your Cloud-Optimized Metro solutions and realize the many benefits:
- Drive new revenue by delivering new categories of services
- Stay ahead of the bandwidth curve
- Get more out of existing network assets
- Rapidly provision and validate services
- Simplify network operations and management
Cloud-Optimized Metro Solution Infographic
- Alcatel-Lucent expands optical networking portfolio to meet enterprise and operator demand for video, cloud and data center traffic in metro networks
- Bell Labs study reveals how integrating IP and optical technologies can ease network capacity demands by 40% and reduce operational costs
- Alcatel-Lucent's new compact, high-performance edge router drives down operator costs, even as data demands grow
- Alcatel-Lucent's Bell Labs forecasts a 560 percent increase in data traffic on metro networks by 2017, driving a major shift in network design
- Alcatel-Lucent triples network capacity of Moscow's National Cable Networks using 100G fiber optic technology to support enhanced services
Articles & Blogs
- The 3 "musts" of metro network transport platforms
- Network operations tools can be more efficient
- Quantifying IP/optical integration synergies
- Rely on partners for your network transformation
- Capitalizing on IP/Optical integration
- Ethernet VPN (EVPN) for Integrated Layer 2-3 Services
- All-Star Results: Retool Metro Transport Networks with Packet-Optimized WDM
- The case for the metro core
- The Right Optics: Evolving the network to meet demand
- SDN in the MAN/WAN: Is it time to make the move?
- Shift Metro Networks into High Gear
- Optical Networks light up broadband experience
- MEF CE 2.0 Certified for a new generation of Carrier Ethernet
- Optimize End-to-End MPLS Networks with Seamless MPLS
- Bringing the digital lifestyle home
- Infographic: The road to a better return on network investments
- Capitalizing on IP/optical control integration
- EVPN overview presentation
- Cloud-optimized metro solution infographic
- Bell Labs — Metro Network Traffic Growth: An Architecture Impact Study
- Application Note - Cloud-Optimized Metro Networks: Moving the metro forward with agile, scalable and efficient networks
- White Paper - The Cloud-Optimized MAN and WAN: Leveraging a multi-layer SDN framework to deliver scalable and agile cloud services
- Application Note - Upscaling the Metro: Deploying the 7950 XRS in the metro core
- Application Note - Meeting Pervasive Ethernet-based Service Demands with Integrated Packet Transport
- Carrier Ethernet 2.0 (CE 2.0) certification
- White Paper - Evolving to "End-to-End MPLS" Architectures
- Solution Sheet — 5620 SAM Unified Management
- What happens in the metro stays in the metro
- Quantifying IP/optical control integration synergies
- Closing the loop with IP/Optical integration
- Ethernet VPN Services: A New Delivery Model
- 100G in the metro
- Optical Networks light up broadband experience
- MEF-Certified for Carrier Ethernet 2.0
- Evolve to Seamless MPLS
- Metro Optical Transport platforms
- IP Edge Routing
- IP Core Routing
- Agile Optical Networking
- Mobile Backhaul
- Packet Microwave Mobile Backhaul
- IP Video
- Integrated Packet Transport
1Footnote: Source: Bell Labs metro network traffic study, 2012-2017