Submarine Network Solutions
Crossing Oceans To Connect the Planet
Alcatel-Lucent and Ocean Networks to extend South America Pacific Link
The extension from Panama to Florida will be known as SAPL Caribbean Express (SAPL CX) and will add approximately 3,000km to the 14,200km SAPL network that will link Hawaii to South America.
Alcatel-Lucent and Telefónica carry out 100G upgrade of PENCAN undersea cable systems
The 100G upgrade of PENCAN-7 and PENCAN-8 undersea cable systems, linking Spanish mainland to Gran Canaria and Tenerife, will offer a more than tenfold capacity increase.
Olivier Gautheron presents the 1620 SOFTNODE
Full scalability - from the smallest upgrades to the largest new systems - and web scale connection.
Alcatel-Lucent completes upgrade of Apollo undersea cable system
100G upgrade will further boost capacity and connectivity over the 13,000km most advanced transatlantic route.
Undersea fiber optic cables connect most of the world's people, businesses and institutions, not satellites. Lying on ocean floors, these submarine cable systems carry the vast majority of our international communications and data. Together, they form the backbone for the data centers powering the world wide web.
The industry leader in turnkey submarine networks
Alcatel-Lucent is the world’s only fully integrated provider of turnkey submarine network solutions. We bring all of the products and know-how needed to design and build optical communications links across the world’s oceans.
From new deployments to network upgrades, regional links to transoceanic infrastructure, Alcatel-Lucent provides everything — starting with route selection and survey, through system design, manufacturing, installation and maintenance.
- More than 150 years of submarine cable system experience
- 25 years of fiber optic expertise
- A range of solutions with multi-terabit capacities for all applications
- More than 550,000 km of cable laid
- More than 300,000 km of cable under maintenance
- More than 200 fiber optic cable systems delivered
- More than 100 upgrades completed
- More than 6000 repeaters manufactured
- A fleet of 7 fully equipped cable ships
A long history of in-house manufacturing
To ensure the highest levels of reliability, quality and standards compliance, Alcatel-Lucent designs and manufactures all of its own cables, dry plant and wet plant components.
- Repeaters, branching units and power feeding equipment are produced in Greenwich, UK, on the site where the world’s first transatlantic cable was manufactured in 1858. Today, the site houses modern production and clean room facilities as well as office space for project management and marine operations teams.
- Our cable manufacturing facility in Calais, France, is the largest in the world, with a production capacity of 3500 km of cable per month.
- Our equipment manufacturing and test facility in Trieste, Italy, has extensive production capabilities for submarine line terminal equipment.
A pioneer and an innovator in undersea cable systems
Alcatel-Lucent has been associated with submarine networks since the first submarine telegraph cables were laid in the mid-19th century.
We’ve built one of the most successful track records in the industry, with the largest installed base of undersea cable systems.
We continue to set new standards in cable performance and reliability by combining our expertise in fiber optics with innovations from Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs.
Innovation and design
In our design laboratories in Villarceaux, France, we have more than 25,000 km of optical fiber and associated optical amplifiers. These resources allow our technical teams to create test systems for next-generation networks and to replicate deployed submarine cable systems to validate capacity upgrades.
In these labs, our design engineers model optical fiber network solutions to assess their performance. Test configurations include:
- Straight-line transmissions up to transpacific distances
- Test beds to assess advanced transmission technologies
- Flexible networks with optical add-drop multiplexer (OADM) branching units
- Network topologies specific to offshore deployments
Connect continents, countries and communities
Oceans cover more than 70% of the earth's surface. Undersea fiber optic cables are the most cost efficient and reliable way to bring high-speed telecommunications services to population centers around the globe . As demand grows for increasingly content-rich services, undersea fiber optic cables are the data super highways that can connect every part of the planet:
- Cross oceans with transoceanic submarine cable systems to deliver terabits of capacity across distances of more than 10,000 km.
- Create regional submarine cable systems to provide smaller-scale connectivity in an optimized way.
All of our submarine cable systems are based on proven installation methods, technologies and products for the subsea wet plant and land dry plant environments.
Wet plant components
- Up to 8000 m depth, 8 fibre pairs, 12 kV
- Universal Joint qualified
- Up to 8000 m depth, 8 fibre pairs, 12 kV
- Full protection, active supervision
- Fiber routing or optical add-drop multiplexer (OADM)
- In-service power reconfiguration, latching control
Dry plant components
Power Feeding Units
- Compact and modular design
- Local and remote controls
Submarine Line Terminals
- Flexibility to mix 10G, 40G & 100G channels
SDH and OTN Interconnection Equipment
- ADM or cross-connect with protection and restoration
Upgrade Capacity on existing submarine networks
Upgrading existing submarine cable systems is a very cost effective means of adding high-speed capacity. We provide the technologies, tools and teams for all of the required operations.
And we'll recommend the best way to upgrade your network:
- Equip an unlit fiber pair
- Increase the channel bit rate on an existing lit fiber pair
- Increase the channel count on an existing lit fiber pair
Connect coastal communities with cost-effective unrepeatered solutions
With no submerged active electronics, unrepeatered submarine networks are a cost-effective alternative to microwave and satellite solutions for distances up to 500 km.
Alcatel-Lucent unrepeatered submarine network solutions are derived from our high-performance repeatered solutions. They support channel rates up to 100 Gb/s and connect seamlessly with repeatered systems and terrestrial networks. Unrepeatered submarine cable systems include cable protection and armoring options to suit any installation environment or sea floor condition.
Offshore - applying subsea technology to new markets
Undersea fiber optic cables make ideal shared infrastructure to bring higher quality communications to offshore oil and gas platforms and offshore observatories used by scientific research organizations.
Undersea cable systems are more flexible, reliable and immune to environmental hazards than satellite or radio connections. Operational effectiveness and safety improves. And large volumes of data can be transported with high quality, high reliability and low latency.
Marine maintenance and operations
Submarine cable systems are designed for robustness and reliability during a 25-year lifespan. However, there is always the risk of damage from external sources.
To help reduce the impact of cable outages, Alcatel-Lucent provides complete submarine cable maintenance services for all types of undersea fiber optic cables.
We focus on delivering rapid response services. Our ships and depots are strategically positioned so we can arrive at a problem location as quickly as possible, equipped to perform any repairs.
To help our customers streamline operations and budgets, we offer:
- Flexible service level agreements (SLAs)
- Fixed prices
- A single point of contact for service requests
- Technical and operations support and repair planning services
- A spare cable and joints management service
A trusted marine maintenance partner
- More than 300,000 km of cables maintained
- 50 cable systems covered
- 30 customers globally
- 7 ships and Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs)
Meet the fleet
Alcatel-Lucent operates 7 vessels for installing and maintaining submarine networks. Our ships are manned by qualified, experienced teams and are strategically located to service customers around the globe. All of our cable ships are equipped with:
- High engine power, thrusters and dynamic positioning to maintain position and work in almost any weather conditions
- High-tow force, heavy-duty ploughs for cable burial
- Cable lay control systems
- A Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) for installation and maintenance
- Automatic logs of critical operational parameters including navigational data, speed, tension, slack, cable counter and plough data
- Fully redundant GPS navigation and positioning systems that provide real-time vessel positioning to an accuracy of better than ± 10 meters
- Developing submarine cable system for oil and gas applications
- Alcatel-Lucent achieves distance record for undersea data transmission over more than 10,000 km
- Alcatel-Lucent and Apollo achieve new transmission record for capacity upgrade over more than 6,500 km
- Alcatel-Lucent achieves submarine cable breakthrough with record transmission distance of more than 610km for unrepeatered system
- Alcatel-Lucent and GoTo Networks to build Australia West Express undersea cable system connecting Australia, Africa and the Middle East
- Alcatel-Lucent and Ocean Networks to build South America Pacific Link
- Alcatel-Lucent and Algerian Ministry of Post, Information Technology and Communications to build Orval undersea cable system
- Alcatel-Lucent closes transaction streamlining its cable ship operations and renewing its long term partnership with Louis Dreyfus Armateurs